I decided to revamp this blog and turn it into a blog of Random Thoughts. Some posts may be practical, others inspirational. Either way, you may pick up something of interest along the way. If you originally joined this blog for the Q&A, I still answer your questions on the podcast every month, please tune-in :)
I recently had a conversation with my friend Patrick La Roque on my podcast Hit The Streets. One of the things we talked about is the struggle of staying focussed as a creative in this time of political turmoil and social unrest. As artists our work is greatly influenced by our mood.
In recent weeks I have found myself feeling more and more angry and negative to start off my day. Feeling angry first thing in the morning is not the best way to start the day and be productive. Yet I believe that anger can be necessary and that it's healthy to vent your frustration. BUT it should not get to the point where it sucks all your energy. So I decided to come up with a plan to refocus and conserve my energy for good things.
So here it goes:
- I will do good at a small scale every day, whether it is online or through an act of generosity in the real world. It doesn't take much to make someone's day and it's the best feeling in the world!
- I avoid social media until I've accomplished my most important daily tasks. Easier said than done. But the goal in the morning is to post, answer a few comments and get out before I get sucked into social media 'news'.
- When I allow myself a few minutes to surf the web, I am checking the source of the information before I click on a link. Trying to sort through the sensationalism.
- I set time aside to meet with friends and vent about current events face to face.
- I remind myself that no matter how crazy the world may seem at the moment. It's a pretty good time to be alive!
- I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing: See the world through my lens and share my passion and vision with you all.
What are you doing to stay positive?